5 Fun facts about accountants
Boring, Number crunchers, Beancounters or Beankeepers, we are all aware of the stereotypes and names that people use for Accountants. Did you know that Accounting is the 3rd most teased profession, followed by Lawyers and Actuaries? I decided to base this blog on 5 fun and interesting facts about Accountants. I would like to start with a little history about Accounting; I found an excellent article called Accounting by Claribel Alegria. http://www.enotes.com/accounting-reference/accounting-174096
The article goes into great detail about how accounting began: “Modern accounting is traced to the work of an Italian monk, Luca Pacioli, whose publication in A.D. 1494 described the double-entry system, which continues to be the fundamental structure for contemporary accounting systems in all types of entities. When double-entry accounting is used, the balance sheet identifies both the resources controlled by the entity and those parties who have claims to those assets.
Early histories of business identify the bookkeeper as a valuable staff member. As businesses became more complex, the need for more astute review and interpretation of financial information was met with the development of a new profession in public accounting. In the United States, public accounting began in the latter part of the nineteenth century. The first organization was established in 1887; the first professional examination was administered in December 1896.”
Now that you have a little history, let’s get to the fun facts:
1. Did you know that bubble gum was invented in 1928 by an accountant named Walter E. Dimer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Diemer
2. Did you know that John Grisham has a degree in Accounting? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Grisham
3. Bob Newhart began his career as an Accountant before he became a comedian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Newhart
4. Jazz musician Kenny G while playing professionally decided to complete his degree in Accounting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_g
5. Accounting is one of the top 10 safest jobs to have according to Info Corner http://www.3060beldendrive.com/2011/02/top-10-safest-jobs-in-world.html
I would love to hear any additional fun facts that anyone might know. I hope you enjoyed this blog.